Local small business seminars includes free stuff
The Small Business Development Center at the University of North Florida continues its 35-year tradition of assisting small businesses in the 18-county region with a variety of resources — one of the most visable of which is its workshop seminars.
This time, a couple of the seminars offers are free of charge to attend. Both are June 8 and have to do with web marketing and communication.
To register or for more information on any upcoming workshops call 620-2476 or go to the SBDC website. Unless otherwise noted, all workshops are at the UNF University Center, 12000 Alumni Drive.
• How to S-T-A-R-T-U-P Your Own Business, 6-9 p.m. May 17. $40 in advance or $50 day of workshop. Thinking of starting a business? This workshop will give you an overview of the seven basic requirements for business STARTUP. A business startup kit for Duval and surrounding counties is included in the workshop fee.
• QuickBooks for Small Business Owners 1-4 p.m. May 19. Cost is $60. QuickBooks got you stumped? Not sure where to start? This workshop will provide you with the information you need to get started on the right foot. Students will work in a computer lab with Instructor on examples for real experience using QuickBooks.
• Nonprofit Startup 101 6-7:30 p.m. May 24. Cost is $25. The process of transforming your idea into an operating organization can be complicated. This workshop will provide the information you need to start a nonprofit organization in Northeast Florida – begin with an understanding of why you may or may not want to start a nonprofit organization and what opportunities may be available to you.
• Business Plan Basics 6-8 p.m. June 2. Cost is $40 in advance or $50 day of workshop. No matter what the purpose – to evaluate the feasibility of starting a business, or to present to a bank for financing, or to serve as a roadmap for the future – a business plan is a critical tool for successful small businesses. This workshop provides an overview of the format and content of a business plan. Participants will be introduced to the key components of a plan and resources to help get them started.
• Marketing 101 6-9 p.m. June 7. Cost: $40 in advance or $50 day of workshop. Achieve your sales and marketing goals by understanding your product or services, customers, prospects and competitors. This class is taught by a marketing professional.
• Social Media Marketing Strategy Made Simple 10:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. June 8. Cost is Free. Not sure how (or why) to incorporate social media (FaceBook, Twitter, Linked-In) into your marketing strategy? This session is for you! Participants will review: why use social, media marketing to promote your organization, what are the differences between FaceBook, Twitter and LinkedIn, and which ones are best for you; how to come up with good content for your social media marketing campaign and how to allocate resources (time and energy!) for social media marketing.
• Getting Started With Constant Contact 1:30-3 p.m June 8. Cost: Free. Review the basics of Constant Contact’s email marketing system and showcase how to link it to all of your social media marketing efforts. Participants will review: how to work with templates, how to include images, links and .pdf files in your emails, how to link emails to FaceBook and Twitter, how to encourage your email readers to share your communication on their social media pages, and how to find out who is opening your emails and what their interests are.
• Nonprofit Fundraising 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. June 17. Cost is $40. A feasibility and planning study provides you with the data and tools you need to raise funds by exploring both internal and external issues, including organizational capacity and capabilities, public perception, and sources and levels of financial support. This workshop will teach you what questions to ask, who to ask, and how to analyze the results.
• The Steps to Starting a Business Webinar 5:30 – 7 p.m. June 29. Cost is $20. This live webinar will take you through the seven basic steps of starting a business. Registration fees include a downloadable start-up kit and workbook. All attendees must have internet access and a telephone. For more information please click here